Wednesday 18 June 2014

MY EXPERIMENTS WITH TEACHING


These years, Engineering inspires and fancies students about being a TCSian or a product of cognizant. When my friends entered into the corporate world, I was looking at the dark sky at night thinking ‘what was my future’ with every usual homosapien on the earth fighting to breathe or live. And with the feeling of my boat has drowned and I slept. Perhaps I didn't know that I was going to take up a very powerful Profession later.
It was the time when I started my post graduation. One fine day, I got the offer to teach the polytechnic girls. I was very thankful to God.  Initially, I had all colours of dream and passion yet didn't know what to paint. With no expectations from my side and not knowing what their expectation from me was, I started the so called career as a TEACHER.
The first day was exhilarating and bizarre. I had a 180 degree glance at the class and don’t know what to talk. I introduced myself to the class and asked them what their expectation from me was. A girl boldly declared, ‘we want you to be friendly and please don’t demand anything from us’. I got shocked looking at the mannerism of the student with teacher. O! My God! what a generation gap!  I did not express what I felt in my heart but said, ‘You are a brave girl. But I can’t assure you with what you asked me unless you do what I want’. Her eyes went small. I walked towards the center of the class and framed my rules, ‘You are free to ask anything from me related to subject and every day I would like to have a small oral test. At the end of the week you will have a unit test’. The class went into deep silence. I started my first class normally and observed them carefully.
That day I was thinking a way to bring an interest for the subject computer architecture that I handled for them. I decided not to look at notes when taking class and put a lot of effort on my side. I worked on what will make them to throw their minds towards the subject.
Next day I went with lots of happiness and curiosity to start my experiments with the students. I didn't carry any notes and went hands free. Boldly, I started my lecture. A girl in front put a stand for her cheek. I turned and split the board into two. She opened her notebook immediately. I felt comfortable with what I was doing. Soon there was much concentration and brightness in their faces. I followed four important tactics for their attention
1. I drew the block diagrams for example data bus using multiplexer without looking the text or any material. This will definitely draw their attention.I also taught them how to draw it. I insisted which should be drawn first and then next and later connect them logically.
2. Often I went around the class and spared some time with those who struggled.
3. Started the class always with oral question and answer. Punishments were like they should learn a block diagram and draw it on the board.
4. I dictated the definitions and very important points.
The first and foremost point required lot of hard work. Because without practice of diagrams before will not help you at the board. And I dictated the definitions at the middle of lecture without looking at any notes. To do this, one must take some care for we should not blabber anything as they are writing down. Also the students don't even know how to draw a diagram logically. I practiced these tactics and they started doing what I wanted from them. I completed that semester with successful teaching.
What I inferred was students completely replicate what we are inside the class. The more I was serious about the subject the more sincere they became. And later I did what the girl wanted from me. I developed a good rapport with them.  Also they did anything without any demands. I was invited for a farewell function for the final year students. I could see my students like angels dressed so well. I was admiring them as a teacher.
Later I got into DCE and my thirst for new venture started all over again.
This small article is just a small drop in an ocean. Depending on conditions these will change. It’s not any periodic procedures to follow but I just want to share my first experiences….
                                                                                       S.Jeya Bharathi, AP/ECE

4 comments:

  1. It is very nice to read your first teaching experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Impressive and Inspiring Teaching Experience Madam. Great Work!!!! Continue the good work and share more experiences which would be helpful for teachers like me....Keep it Up Madam!!!! Proud to meet teachers like you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hard never work never fails.Initially there are lots of struggle but the end results will be good always. So, you are a good example for it. Keep up your work and congrats.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was pleasure reading & to visualize it...with a lot of colorful paints..! Best Wishes !

    ReplyDelete